The public health emergency triggered by COVID-19 is not only a matter of respiratory distress and ICU admissions. It has also led to an unprecedented breakout of mental health problems worldwide. Doctors in the emergency room are receiving more anxiety cases than ever, causing frequent flare-ups of gastrointestinal symptoms, asthma, and more.
But two conditions are causing a significant impact on our quality of life without becoming so apparent. Depression and insomnia break us from within without making a lot of noise. Luckily, health authorities realized the trend and are doing something about it.
Depression and insomnia breakout during COVID-19
Facts and figures about depression and insomnia during COVID-19 are alarming:
- 24% of our population is suffering from insomnia during these times
- The number of depressed individuals skyrocketed to 16%
- After recent events, post-traumatic stress cases are reaching 22%
This is a 5-fold increase in the number of post-traumatic stress cases and a 4-fold increase of depression cases.
Depression is quite difficult to diagnose, and some people take it for granted. They believe that their loss of interest and negative thoughts are no more than sadness. But depression affects the way we live our daily life.
As for insomnia, it is also a significant health problem affecting primary body functions. Sleep is essential to clear the brain out of toxins and strengthens neuronal connections. Insomnia speeds up degenerative disease and may even lead to erectile dysfunction and other manifestations.
Mianserin treatment for depression
Mianserin belongs to the group of piperazine-azepine compounds that are chemically unrelated to tricyclic antidepressants. Its structure lacks the basic side chain that is believed to be responsible for the anticholinergic activity of tricyclic antidepressants. Mianserin enhances central noradrenergic neurotransmission by blocking the alpha2- receptor and inhibiting norepinephrine reuptake. Likewise, interactions have been found with serotonin receptors in the central nervous system.
If you are interested in this treatment, you can read more about it at “Mianserin Hydrochloride, a new API coming to Lebsa portfolio”.
Mianserin indication is to improve the symptoms of depression in those cases of depressive illness in which pharmacological therapy is indicated. Treatments with mianserin need a prescription from a doctor.
LEBSA as API manufacturing supplier
At LEBSA we are experts on the development and commercialization of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), with a specific focus on niche molecules.
Our APIs main therapeutic applications are: antipsychotic, antidepressant, antiseptic, antivertigo, among others.
If you need further information about our products, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Las cifras confirman el impacto de la pandemia sobre la salud mental, El País
- People with COVID-19 More Likely to Develop Depression, Anxiety, and Dementia, Healthline
- Depressive Disorders and Incidence of COVID-19: Is There a Correlation and Management Interference?, Science Repository
- Depression, World Health Organization (WHO)
- The ‘coronasomnia’ phenomenon keeping you from getting sleep, BBC
- Are there effective medications for treating depression that does not improve with the first medication used?, Cochrane